a new zine called shitty horoscopes that i’ll be premiering this year at the Toronto Queer Zine Fair, among other things! hopefully i’ll make volumes available for online purchase soon. credit where credit is due: this was inspired by the huge number of made-up horoscopes floating around tumblr lately, and angry-poems.
yup, the Libra one is pretty accurate
I endorse the Scorpio one. Fellow Scorps, you know it’s damn true.
Máster Diseño Gráfico 2012-13. Proyecto personal de Sara Maese incluido en la Entrega Final de Máster: serie de carteles Studio Ghibli-Hayao Miyazaki (1984-2008). Incluye:
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984).
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986).
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988).
- Kiki´s Delivery Service (1989).
- Porco Rosso (1992).
- Princess Mononoke (1997).
- Spirited Away (2001).
- Howl´s Moving Castle (2004).
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008).
Emerald City Comicon is planning to expand our offering for cosplayers, and fans of cosplay, at our 2015 show. With that in mind, we wanted to open our discussion to attendees, to see what ideas you may have for how we can do so.
What would you want to see in a cosplay-devoted area of ECCC?
Hi, we would like your opinions on things!
Female BAMFs Throughout History
GODDAMN IT TUMBLR, CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US THEIR NAMES?!?!?
- Ching Shih was a prominent pirate in middle Qing China, who terrorized the China Sea in the early 19th century. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates another estimate has Cheng’s fleet at 1800 and crew at about 80,000— men, women, and even children. She challenged the empires of the time, such as the British, Portuguese and the Qing dynasty. Undefeated, she would become one of China and Asia’s strongest pirates, and one of world history’s most powerful pirates. She was also one of the few pirate captains to retire from piracy.
- Nancy Wake (one of the few white women on this list; of course you put her name on the graphic…)
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko
- Rukhsana Kausar
- The Gulabi gang (gulabi is Hindi for “pink”) was founded by Sampat Pal Devi, a mother of five and former government health worker (as well as a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women.Gulabis visit abusive husbands and threaten to beat them with laathis (sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. Al Jazeera reports there are 400,000 members across Northern India.
- Neejra Bhanot was just 22 when terrorists from the Abu Nidal Organization hijacked Pan Am Flight 73, where she was the senior flight purser. After 17 hours (and yes, hiding American passports to protect those passengers), when the hijackers opened fire and set off explosives, Bhanot opened the emergency door and helped a number of passengers escape. She could have been the first to jump out when she opened the door but she decided not and was shot while shielding three children from a hail of bullets. Bhanot was recognized internationally as “the heroine of the hijack” and is the youngest recipient of the Ashok Chakra Award, India’s most prestigious gallantry award for bravery during peace time.
- Zainab Bibi, 42, allegedly told authorities she killed her husband Ahmad Abbas because he tried to sexually assault her 17-year-old daughter from another marriage.
- In September 2006, Susan Kuhnhausen found an intruder in her southeast Portland, OR home. “I saw a man step out of the shadows and he began to hit me in the head and the face with a hammer,” said Kuhnhausen. “I got the hammer and started hitting him with the hammer several times. My father, the carpenter, always taught me a hammer could be used for self defense — the claw end would work the best,” said Kuhnhausen. Kuhnhausen’s husband, Michael, had hired Ed Haffey to kill his wife.
- Seriously, fuck this one. The photo is of Parinya Chareonphol or Nong Thoom who is a kathoey, which many Thai believe to be a third gender (as opposed to the Western idea of ‘transgender’.) After a short time as a Buddhist monk, she took up Muy Thai kickboxing to support her parents and make enough money to pay for her sex-reassignment surgery, and basically kicked ass at it for several years. She was not “constantly made fun of before fights;” the Muy Thai community embraced her and her presence greatly revitalized both media and public interest in the sport, as shown by increased ticket sales and stadium revenue. The movie Beautiful Boxer was made about her, and she has recently acted in Mercury Man as well as continuing to kickbox. So yeah, fuck this one hard.
- Juliane Diller née Koepcke was the only survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 crash in 1971. Despite sustaining a broken collar bone, a deep gash to her right arm, a concussion and an eye injury in the fall, she was able to trek through the dense Amazon jungle for 10 days, until she was rescued by local lumbermen, who subsequently took her by canoe back to civilization. It was later discovered that as many as 14 other passengers also survived the initial fall from the disintegrated plane but were unable to seek help and died while awaiting rescue.
Seriously, guys, this took me like 20 minutes using Google and Wikipedia. These women are real people with real names and real stories. Please don’t reduce them to a picture (most of which came from Wikipedia in the first place oh my god i know you were there) and an “uplifting” story.
THANK YOU FOR THE NAMES!
Kudos to the fact checker, very well done and well-put at the end! Fact checking and extended cited information is important, tumblrerererers.
That is so lame. You allow the same comic artists and writers each year, right? The same vendors?
This is a huge, MASSIVE fail on your part. Your reasoning is somewhat sound but completely wrong.
Might be returning my pair of 3-day passes if I don’t see a name I care about before december’s refund deadline….
Okay, let’s reply to that.
- Some of the same comic guests return, but we try to bring as many new ones as possible. Celebrity guests are treated differently because we have room for so few of them when compared to comic guests. (308:23 was our ratio last year)
- Vendors pay to exhibit at Emerald City Comicon, whether a booth or a table in Artists Alley. If they want to return, they are welcome to.
- That’s your opinion, and here’s our response to people who tell us we don’t run the show correctly.
- Go ahead, return your passes. There are other people out there worrying that they won’t be able to get a pass this year before they sell out. You’d be helping them.
- Really? Insults and threats? That is so lame.
process of this piece.
This is exactly how I parent.
Being good to each other is so important, guys.
My housemate, every time.
First things first: Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with OK TO PRINT somewhere in the letter or nothing gets used.
The rest: We’re doing a letters column for the upcoming Edward Scissorhands miniseries, and we thought it would be a thrill to ask people to submit their best photos of their teen-est selves. Edward is a character I identified with so much, as a sad goth weirdo, but I want you to tell me who got YOU through the angst-ridden, hormone-overload years. What books meant the world to you? What bands changed your life? I want to hear about your passions and fandoms.
Notes: Keep it short, keep it clean, and preference is given to the most INTERESTING pictures. You don’t have to have been goth (although I am a sucker for those photos). I just want to see what you were like at the height of your mid-teens. Diversity is wonderful.
Lastly: If you are younger than that NOW or currently at the height of your adolescence, I still want to hear about the things that make or made you feel better. If you love Burton films, tell me about it. If Kylie Minogue posters cover your walls, tell me why!
Edward Scissorhands comes out late October of this year.
Anonymous said: u take a lot of selfies. do u think ur pretty or smoething? ur not
hi there, anon. i didn’t realize i took a lot of selfies. thanks for the info. so, your question was whether i think i’m pretty. you already answered that no, i am not.
and i have to agree, anon. i don’t think i’m pretty bc i’m not.
i always have a double chin.
i constantly look like i haven’t slept in a week bc of my dark circles
and, i always look sunburnt. idfk why
i have this white line across my nose that makeup can’t cover up
i have tons of wrinkles on my forehead. like what the hell? i’m 25
also, it’s the size of fucking texas
i still don’t know how to smile in pictures bc i hate my fucking teeth
my feet are flat. my hips are huge. my boobs are weird. i am covered in stretch marks. my voice is grating. my ears stick out two miles from my head. i am always fucking sweating and i’ve been asked if i was pregnant more times than i can count.
so, you’re right. i’m not pretty. i can’t stand the way i look.
which is why it’s so fucking important that i post “a lot” of selfies. bc, anon, you’d better fucking believe that if i look in the mirror that day and don’t cringe, i’m gonna take a fucking picture to save that tiny little second. and GOD FORBID i show the world that i posses a little self love every once in a fucking while.
TO ANYONE READING THIS: DON’T EVER LET SOMEONE MAKE YOU FEEL ASHAMED FOR LIKING THE WAY YOU LOOK—EVEN IF IT’S JUST FOR A SECOND. IF YOU LOOK NICE, YOU TAKE THAT FUCKING SELFIE AND YOU SHOW IT TO THE GOD DAMN WORLD BC THEY DESERVE TO SEE THE GOD/GODDESS YOU ARE!
that beard finally coming in? go ahead, bro. take a selfie.
you finally got that piercing you’ve been wanting? not really my style, but you’re fucking rocking it. take a selfie.
your boobs look awesome in that shirt? take a selfie.
you finally lose or gain that weight you’ve been working on? take a selfie.
your eyeliner look awesome? your new sunglasses make you look like a celebrity avoiding the paparazzi? you killing that tux? you feel a tiny, rare level of self love? you always on a high level of self love? you just like your face?
TAKE A MOTHAFUCKING SELFIE!
thanks for the question, anon. this one’s for you.
This right here is how you respond to a troll when someone online wants to tell you you’re ugly or fat or whathave you.
True Detective season 2BTW, for those that do not know, this is Kelly Sue and Mike Oeming. Still shots from the set, I’m sure.
Damn, Mike. We hot.
Page 1 of 46