Sorry #hehehe #itstotallyyou #lame
[ Artist ~ Inoue Takehiko]
LeVar Burton is coming to Emerald City Comicon!
A pop culture icon and role model for generations, he went from the plantations of Roots to the engine rooms and holodecks of Star Trek: The Next Generation while being a leading social and educational activist with Captain Planet and Reading Rainbow. His work to revive Reading Rainbow has led to the most successful Kickstarter campaign of all time! He’s currently starring on the TNT drama Perception and voicing Doc Greene in Transformers: Rescue Bots.
Mr. Burton will be appearing all three days of Emerald City Comicon, and will be available for Photo Ops, Autographs, and will appear on panels. For our full list of celebrity guests, visit our website.
I’m pretty excited about Mr. Burton coming out.
Psssssst. Jokes are supposed to be funny.
a new zine called shitty horoscopes that i’ll be premiering this year at the Toronto Queer Zine Fair, among other things! hopefully i’ll make volumes available for online purchase soon. credit where credit is due: this was inspired by the huge number of made-up horoscopes floating around tumblr lately, and angry-poems.
yup, the Libra one is pretty accurate
I endorse the Scorpio one. Fellow Scorps, you know it’s damn true.
Máster Diseño Gráfico 2012-13. Proyecto personal de Sara Maese incluido en la Entrega Final de Máster: serie de carteles Studio Ghibli-Hayao Miyazaki (1984-2008). Incluye:
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984).
- Laputa: Castle in the Sky (1986).
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988).
- Kiki´s Delivery Service (1989).
- Porco Rosso (1992).
- Princess Mononoke (1997).
- Spirited Away (2001).
- Howl´s Moving Castle (2004).
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008).
Emerald City Comicon is planning to expand our offering for cosplayers, and fans of cosplay, at our 2015 show. With that in mind, we wanted to open our discussion to attendees, to see what ideas you may have for how we can do so.
What would you want to see in a cosplay-devoted area of ECCC?
Hi, we would like your opinions on things!
Female BAMFs Throughout History
GODDAMN IT TUMBLR, CAN YOU AT LEAST GIVE US THEIR NAMES?!?!?
- Ching Shih was a prominent pirate in middle Qing China, who terrorized the China Sea in the early 19th century. She commanded over 300 junks manned by 20,000 to 40,000 pirates another estimate has Cheng’s fleet at 1800 and crew at about 80,000— men, women, and even children. She challenged the empires of the time, such as the British, Portuguese and the Qing dynasty. Undefeated, she would become one of China and Asia’s strongest pirates, and one of world history’s most powerful pirates. She was also one of the few pirate captains to retire from piracy.
- Nancy Wake (one of the few white women on this list; of course you put her name on the graphic…)
- Lyudmila Pavlichenko
- Rukhsana Kausar
- The Gulabi gang (gulabi is Hindi for “pink”) was founded by Sampat Pal Devi, a mother of five and former government health worker (as well as a former child bride), as a response to widespread domestic abuse and other violence against women.Gulabis visit abusive husbands and threaten to beat them with laathis (sticks) unless they stop abusing their wives. Al Jazeera reports there are 400,000 members across Northern India.
- Neejra Bhanot was just 22 when terrorists from the Abu Nidal Organization hijacked Pan Am Flight 73, where she was the senior flight purser. After 17 hours (and yes, hiding American passports to protect those passengers), when the hijackers opened fire and set off explosives, Bhanot opened the emergency door and helped a number of passengers escape. She could have been the first to jump out when she opened the door but she decided not and was shot while shielding three children from a hail of bullets. Bhanot was recognized internationally as “the heroine of the hijack” and is the youngest recipient of the Ashok Chakra Award, India’s most prestigious gallantry award for bravery during peace time.
- Zainab Bibi, 42, allegedly told authorities she killed her husband Ahmad Abbas because he tried to sexually assault her 17-year-old daughter from another marriage.
- In September 2006, Susan Kuhnhausen found an intruder in her southeast Portland, OR home. “I saw a man step out of the shadows and he began to hit me in the head and the face with a hammer,” said Kuhnhausen. “I got the hammer and started hitting him with the hammer several times. My father, the carpenter, always taught me a hammer could be used for self defense — the claw end would work the best,” said Kuhnhausen. Kuhnhausen’s husband, Michael, had hired Ed Haffey to kill his wife.
- Seriously, fuck this one. The photo is of Parinya Chareonphol or Nong Thoom who is a kathoey, which many Thai believe to be a third gender (as opposed to the Western idea of ‘transgender’.) After a short time as a Buddhist monk, she took up Muy Thai kickboxing to support her parents and make enough money to pay for her sex-reassignment surgery, and basically kicked ass at it for several years. She was not “constantly made fun of before fights;” the Muy Thai community embraced her and her presence greatly revitalized both media and public interest in the sport, as shown by increased ticket sales and stadium revenue. The movie Beautiful Boxer was made about her, and she has recently acted in Mercury Man as well as continuing to kickbox. So yeah, fuck this one hard.
- Juliane Diller née Koepcke was the only survivor of the LANSA Flight 508 crash in 1971. Despite sustaining a broken collar bone, a deep gash to her right arm, a concussion and an eye injury in the fall, she was able to trek through the dense Amazon jungle for 10 days, until she was rescued by local lumbermen, who subsequently took her by canoe back to civilization. It was later discovered that as many as 14 other passengers also survived the initial fall from the disintegrated plane but were unable to seek help and died while awaiting rescue.
Seriously, guys, this took me like 20 minutes using Google and Wikipedia. These women are real people with real names and real stories. Please don’t reduce them to a picture (most of which came from Wikipedia in the first place oh my god i know you were there) and an “uplifting” story.
THANK YOU FOR THE NAMES!
Kudos to the fact checker, very well done and well-put at the end! Fact checking and extended cited information is important, tumblrerererers.
That is so lame. You allow the same comic artists and writers each year, right? The same vendors?
This is a huge, MASSIVE fail on your part. Your reasoning is somewhat sound but completely wrong.
Might be returning my pair of 3-day passes if I don’t see a name I care about before december’s refund deadline….
Okay, let’s reply to that.
- Some of the same comic guests return, but we try to bring as many new ones as possible. Celebrity guests are treated differently because we have room for so few of them when compared to comic guests. (308:23 was our ratio last year)
- Vendors pay to exhibit at Emerald City Comicon, whether a booth or a table in Artists Alley. If they want to return, they are welcome to.
- That’s your opinion, and here’s our response to people who tell us we don’t run the show correctly.
- Go ahead, return your passes. There are other people out there worrying that they won’t be able to get a pass this year before they sell out. You’d be helping them.
- Really? Insults and threats? That is so lame.
process of this piece.
This is exactly how I parent.
Being good to each other is so important, guys.
My housemate, every time.
Page 1 of 46